Monday, November 24, 2014

The Little Blue House 12 Days of Ornaments: Day #10


Hello! DeeDee Roe here today...and I'm excited to share my Merry Mason Jar Lid DIY ornament. :) 
I LOVE handmade for the holidays and this one is super cute and easy to recreate. 


Merry Mason Jar Lid Ornaments
Designed by: DeeDee Roe

Check out my tutorial and supply list below. :) 

Start off with two mason jar lids. :) *Pro-tip* Wipe them down with an alcohol wipe so the paint will adhere more easily. 


Separate the inner circle from the outer ring. 

Then paint all sides of the ring with Tattered Rose Distress Crackle paint. (I created two and used Weathered Wood on the second ornament.) Make sure to paint thickly or it won't show well on the silver. Allow to dry. 

I painted the jingle bells with VerDay Brass paint and added the patina spray - just to give it a bit more age and texture. Allow to dry. 

Paint the spool with leafy green paint. Cut "24" from the patterned paper. Adhere and wrap around spool. Cover paper with Glossy Accents and coat in Iridescent glitter. Okay, I know. You're either a glitter person or you're not. I see glitter and my brain just says YES, girl, this project obviously calls for sparkle. Bring it.. 




Use the lid insert to trace a front and back for the ornament. Try to pay attention to which part of the design you're tracing. Like, don't accidentally trace the logo at the bottom. 

I used Glossy Accents to adhere the patterned paper to the jar lid on both sides. 


Sand the edges down so the paper fits easily into the lid ring. 

Then ink the edges of both sides with Antique Linen Distress ink. I used Glossy Accents around the inside of the rim to adhere the inner circle. Easy peasy. 


Next, fill the lids with Glossy Accents using a small paintbrush (to be totally honest I used my pinky) and then pour in Mica flakes. Shake off excess. Allow to dry. 

Trace the inner rim with Platinum Stickles. 


Using sharp detail scissors cut the "partridge in a pear tree" from the patterned paper. 

Coat the rectangles with words in Glossy Accents and set aside to dry. 

Once dry put the phrase on adhesive foam squares overlapping the left side of the rim. 

Tie a bow with the brown burlap ribbon and adhere to the top left side of the rim using hot glue. 

String the jingle bells with the twine and knot around the base of the tree. Attach the tree to the lid using hot glue. 

String the remaining twine through the back of the bow and tie a knot at the top for hanging. Attach button to center of bow using hot glue. :) 

Use hot glue to attach the wooden spool to the bottom of the ring. 

Pat yourself on the back because you're creative and amazing and have a new handmade ornament for your Christmas tree.

Here's my second version of the same basic ornament. So cute right?! :) 

Front and back view. 


Thanks for checking out my tutorial and ornament. I hope you make a couple for yourself! :) 
Be sure to leave a comment today and you could be chosen to WIN one of my Ornaments! Share with me when you open presents....Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?

DeeDee


CONGRATULATIONS to the DAY #9 WINNER:

PAM M

Please contact the LBH to claim your ornament

8 comments:

  1. So cute and I have Tons of theses lids after using the jars for so many projects. I will be looking at these ornaments on my tree while opening presents on Christmas morning. We only open one present in Christmas Eve--new pj's for the kids to wear that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever idea. I love mason jars, so I love this project. Thanks for more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Mason jar projects and this is so cute. Definitely making some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I have a few of these I could use too. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the ornaments, so cool! Christmas Eve is my time to open presents!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ornament...I happen to have several empty spools since I am a quilter.

    We open presents on Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovee mason jars...another great use for them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and for visiting our blog!